If you’ve ever found yourself in a situation where you can’t gain access to your car, then you know how frustrating it can be. Some of these reasons might include losing your keys, broken keys, etc. More often than not, it has to do with your car lock or your key. When this happens it can be an unexpected cost and we want to help you avoid it. Below are our expert auto locksmiths top seven tips on avoiding getting locked out of your car.
- Keep Your Car Keys on You: lost car keys are a huge frustration and one of the most common reasons for being locked out of your car. Sometimes people forget their keys. It is important to always keep your keys on you. Whenever you go anywhere check to make sure your car keys are in your pocket or your hand.
- Double Check: Similar to the above in a sense, avoiding lost car keys means double checking you have them with you. If you carry your keys in your bag or pocket double check you have them before you go anywhere. Make it a routine.
- Lock Your Door: Use your car fob to lock the doors every time. This ensures that you have your keys with you when you leave your car.
- Replace The Batteries: The batteries in your key fob do die and if this happens you might not be able to open your doors. Always check your batteries and make sure to have new ones at hand for when you need them.
- Have Faulty Locks Repaired: If your locks become faulty which can happen over time due to wear and tear, it is essential that you have them fixed before they stop working altogether.
- Winter Tips: When the cold winter weather hits, it’s important to take extra care of your vehicle. Freezing water in your locks can cause problems and stop your keys from working. If this happens some warm water can melt the ice. You can then use some WD40 to disperse the water and make your lock functional.
- Invest in a set of spare keys: The best way to avoid getting locked out of your car is to have a second set of keys made. This will depend on the key type and make and model of your car. You may need an experienced auto locksmith especially if your car keys come with a fob, an RFDI chip or both. Once you have your spare key made be sure to keep it in a safe place so you have it should you ever need it?
There are times when you might find yourself locked out of your car at the most unexpected of times. If this happens to you and you need an auto locksmith to rescue you, you’ll want them to get to you in the quickest time possible. Our locksmiths Kildare, Carlow, Kilkenny, and Tipperary offer a 24/7 emergency auto locksmiths service should you find yourself in a difficult situation.